Students have the opportunity to make their voices heard.
Beginning Oct. 19, virtual student focus groups will be hosted by Joe Verkennes, director of marketing and communications, and Quri Wygonik, director of institutional research.
Every student participant will receive a $25 Amazon gift card.
The study groups are part of the 2020-2025 strategic planning process, in which fostering a student focused environment is one of the main goals, Verkennes said.
Wygonik said there was difficulty filling most focus groups.
“It seems like students under 25 or students in their first year, especially our transfer students, just aren’t showing a lot of interest,” Wygonik said.
As a result, similar student groups will be merged together.
Wygonik said four or five different groups are expected.
Verkennes and Wygonik are working with market research company SEM Works on the focus groups. The strategic planning process as a whole received a budget of $72,000.
“We fought to get this in our budget. We had several conversations with our senior leadership team and president’s cabinet to really push to find this money, because we feel so strongly that having this data will drive all the other activities in the strategic plan,” Wygonik said.
Students interested in participating in any one of the below focus groups should contact Dr. Quri Wygonik by email at email@example.com in advance of the date and time.
- Group 1- Traditional-age (under 25 years) students: Tuesday, October 19 from 3:15 pm to 4:45 pm
- Group 2- First-year, adult (25 years and older) students: Tuesday, October 19 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm
- Group 3- Second-year and beyond, adult (25 years and older) students: Wednesday, October 20 from 3:15 pm to 4:45 pm
- Group 4- Transfer students or Program/Certificate students (e.g., Welding, Nursing, Respiratory Therapy, Accounting, etc.): Wednesday, October 20 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm
- Group 5- Dual enrollment/Middle College students: Friday, October 22 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm