MACRAO helps with transferring


A recent study shows that the most major Michigan universities are over-priced.

Twelve of the fifteen public universities in Michigan cost more than the national average for similarly ranked schools, according to a recent analysis by Bridge Magazine. The three schools that aren’t currently above the average are U of M’s Flint and Dearborn branches, and Wayne State.

Grand Valley State was the highest above the average cost, coming in at nearly $6000 per year above the median for it’s group. U of M’s Ann Arbor branch came in about $4000 higher per year than it’s median. EMU was about $2000 per year above its.

One way potential students can reduce the amount of money they pay for their education is to take advantage of something called the MACRAO Transfer Agreement.

MACRAO stands for Michigan Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers. The MACRAO Transfer Agreement is a program that allows students at community colleges to transfer up to 30 semester credit hours towards general education requirements at a fouryear college. The agreement was signed in 1972. More than 50 Michigan colleges participate in the MACRAO Transfer Agreement.

“It’s a big benefit for students,” said Mark Hall, MCCC’s Director of Admissions and Guidance Services. “Getting the MACRAO stamp on their transcripts is a tremendous advantage.”

The agreement allows students to go to a more affordable community college and take many of the lower-level classes that are required by four-year institutions, and transfer those credit hours to meet the general education requirements of the four-year school the student intends to go to.

“It’s a big deal for a transfer student,” said Hall. “This is a well-rounded general education curriculum.”

Students interested in meeting the requirements for MACRAO are required to take six credit hours of english composition, eight credit hours of social science courses, and eight hours of humanities courses, and a combined eight credit hours of math and science classes, which must include a course with a laboratory.

Students interested in the program should talk to their MCCC college advisor about which classes to take. Additional information about the MACRAO Transfer Agreement can be found at on the college’s website.