The One Book, One Community program kicked off earlier this month with a concert at Café Classics by Jesse Coleman and the Jamm.
More than 20 events for the community program are scheduled to occur through April 15, including an appearance by critically acclaimedauthor James McBride.
McBride’s memoir, “The Color of Water,” is the featured book for this year’s community-wide program. The memoir recounts his struggle in discovering his own identity as a black man raised by his white, Jewish mother.
The book is also a tribute to his mother, telling her story and the hardships she faced as a white woman choosing to marry a black man in the 1940’s.
McBride will speak at the MCCC La-Z-boy Center at 7 p.m. April 4.
“The Color of Water” is available for purchase in the MCCC Bookstore for $15 and will also be available at many events.
For more information, visit www.monroeccc.edu/onebook.
One Book, One Community Events
• March 30: Memoir Writing Workshop from 7-8:30 p.m. in the La-Z-Boy Center, Room 258. Also available April 6 and 13. Registration required by calling (734) 384-4153.
• March 30: Bedford Branch Book Discussion at 7 p.m.
• March 31: Film Festival: “Imitation of Life (1934),” at 6 p.m. in the Bedford Branch Library.
• April 1: IHM Life Stories: Writing Your Memoirs II, IHM Mother House Room D-102, 3- 4:30 p.m.
• April 4: Author James McBride at 7 p.m. in the La-Z-Boy Center, Meyer Theater.
• April 6: Blue Bush Branch Library Book Discussion at 6:30 p.m.
• April 6: MCCC Memoir Writing Workshop II at 7 p.m. in the La-Z-Boy Center, Room 258.
• April 7: Ida Branch Library Book Discussion at 4 p.m.
• April 8: IHM Life Stories: Writing Your Memoirs III from 3-4:30 p.m. at the IHM Mother House, Room D-102
• April 8: Write with Images at 4 p.m. at the L.S. Navarre Branch Library. Recommended for children in grades 3-12. Registration required by calling (734) 241-5577 ot visiting www.monroe.lib.mi.us.
• April 11: Film Festival: “Miracle at St. Anna,” at the Ellis Reference and Information Center at 6 p.m. If Ellis is still under construction, the event will be held at the Dorsch Memorial Branch.
• April 12: Education, Faith and Family: A Panel Discussion at 7 p.m. in the La-Z-Boy Center, Meyer Theater.
• April 13: MCCC Memoir Writing Workshop III at 7 p.m. in the La-Z-Boy Center, Room 258.
• April 15: IHM Life Stories: WritingYour Memoirs IV from 3-4:30 at the IHM Mother House, Room D-102.